Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Helvetica: The Film

The film was surprisingly interesting. Not to say that is was very interesting, but it was more interesting than expected. I liked hearing arguments for and against it, and seeing the different ways it has been used. I think the most intriguing statement made was that Helvetica became a "club" or a "badge" that companies could show off--that put them in a certain class. I thought of a passage from Otl Aicher's book, The World As Design that described how people set themselves on pedestals by wearing clothes that are ill suited for their environment. The man who can afford to dress inappropriately is set apart from the rest (such as the football coach in pressed suit pants and dress shoes on the field). I don't think Helvetica is like a handicap, but some do.

I remain in the middle ground concerning the font. I don't think it's the god of fonts, but it is a versatile, neutral font, which is handy....

No comments:

Post a Comment